Adopted 1984; As Amended 2008
The name of this association is and shall be the Tyson-May Reunion.
The Tyson-May Reunion is an unincorporated association of the descendants of Cornelius Tyson and his wife and their four (4) children; and of the descendants of Major Benjamin May and wife, Mary Clara Tyson, who were married in 1765, and their twelve (12) children.
Membership: The membership of this association shall be composed of all the descendants and their spouses of Cornelius Tyson and wife and Benjamin and Mary Clara May.
Purposes: The objectives of this association shall be as follows:
- To encourage the bonds of kinship and the pride of bearing a good name.
- To encourage the study of genealogy and the achievements of our ancestors that we may learn of their courage and strength and thereby better prepare for the future.
- To encourage scholarship, patriotism, and achievement in ourselves and our descendants.
Officers: The officers of this Reunion shall be:
- A President
- A President
- A Secretary
- A Treasurer
- A Historian and Receiving Genealogist
- A Director of Technology Resources
Officers shall hold office, after being duly elected, until their successors are duly elected.
Each officer shall be elected at the annual meeting for a term of one year.
Officers may succeed themselves without limitation.
- shall preside over all meetings of the Reunion, make all appointments and nominations as provided for in these By-Laws, and preside as Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Vice President
- shall succeed the President at such times as the President shall be absent or incapacitated, as determined by a majority vote of the Board of Directors, or upon the President’s resignation or death.
- shall keep records and minutes of the Reunion, and be responsible for the publishing of notices of meetings, and for invitations to members and guests, as well as the furnishing of information to the news media.
- shall keep the assets of the Reunion wisely and in safety, making an account thereof no less frequently than once each year at the annual meeting and twice each year at the meetings of the Board of Directors, and in addition, at such times as the President or the Board of Directors my require.
- Historian/Receiving Genealogist
- shall be the genealogist of the Reunion and shall maintain the membership roll.
- Director of Technology Resources
- shall be responsible for the Tyson-May Reunion website and all related activities.
The Board of Directors:
- The Board of Directors shall consist of six (6) members-at-large, the officers of the reunion, and the immediate past president. The immediate past president shall serve a one-year term.
- The six (6) non-officer members shall be elected at the annual meeting at which these By-Laws are adopted.
- Three (3) shall be Mays. Three (3) shall be Tysons. In the event that a person is both, then the nominee shall choose one or the other. The first May and first Tyson shall hold office for one (1) year. The second May and second Tyson elected shall hold office for two (2) years. The third May and third Tyson elected shall hold office for three (3) years. These persons shall be determined by the order in which they are nominated. Thereafter, upon the expiration of the terms of each of the original Class of Directors, said Directors shall be replaced by the election of one (1) May and one (1) Tyson to serve a three-year term; thus, replacing the expiring terms of two (2) Directors each year.
- The Board of Directors shall make all appropriations in excess of One Hundred ($100.00) & No/100 Dollars and may give such authority to the President or other officers or persons as they may from time to time determine so to do, though all authority for expenditures must be a part of the minutes and in writing.
- Vacancies on the Board of Directors, other than by the expiration of a term, or when an existing director is elected an officer, shall be filled by nominations by the President and confirmation by the then remaining Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall approve all proposed changes in the By-Laws by a two-third (2/3) majority before such changes are submitted to the annual meeting for approval.
- A Director may be removed from office at any time for cause by a majority vote of all other Directors.
- The annual meeting of the Reunion shall be held on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, or at such time and place as shall be determined by the Board of Directors. Special meetings may be called upon the request of the President with the approval of the Board of Directors.
- Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be no less frequent than March and July, or as called by the President with at least ten (10) days notice of said time and place. Such notice may be waived.
- A quorum for the transaction of business by the Board of Directors shall be no less than seven (7) members.
- The fiscal year of the Reunion shall be 1 January through 31 December.
- There shall be such Committees as the President may ordain from time to time and the members of said Committee shall be appointed by the President for a term of one (1) year.
- These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) approval of the Board of Directors, two-thirds (2/3) of the quorum present if approved thereafter by a majority vote of the members present at the annual meeting.
- The Board of Directors may require membership dues or other financial obligations of the members as they may from time to time see fit.
- No officer or director shall receive a salary or wage or any other monetary award for serving as an officer or director. Other work which such officer or director may do by contract with the Board of Directors may be compensated as per said contract.
Passed this 30th day of November 2008, by the annual meeting of the Tyson-May Reunion.